Sunday, October 21, 2007

Limón Latin Grill

Have you ever been reluctant to tell just anyone about something you have discovered for fear that everyone may then go there and somehow ruin it? I know that is not a rational thought, but it was a thought nonetheless. So, with that having been said, I bow and tip my hat for the following truly deserves a commendation.

Subsequent to our visit at the Reagan Library, which I wrote about on the 12 October, our biggest decision was 'now, where shall we have dinner?' We did not want to drive any distance and had noticed a large new mall area not far from the hotel, thus decided to drive up and explore.

We passed several restaurants, but there was a 'No, not that one... Uhm, I don't think so... no steak tonight... Hey, there's a sign that says Latin food... let's look at their menu'. Curious that only recently we had been discussing how we loved Cuban food.

Now don't roll your eyes when I say this, but my first impression was the logo. I loved the"L" in Limón, for the very artistic playfulness of the graphic conjured images of ancient courts and jesters, while the sound of Limón (Le - moan') whispered romance in my ears.

We were warmly greeted at the door, and the interior of the restaurant offered a simplicity, clean lines of design... an inviting atmosphere. The menu presented us with a nice variety and ingredients which always tantalize our taste buds... we made reservations. And did we want to 'eat outside or inside?'.

We returned to our hotel and had a slightly chilled glass of a Murphy Goode Chardonnay, one we had purchased while en route, and enjoyed quiet conversation and the relaxation of simply being together until it came time to embark upon our new adventure.

Limón Latin Grill

We each had a slightly chilled dry vodka martini, up, and '2 olives please'. For appetizers we shared one of our favorites, a lightly breaded Fried Calamari served with a Chipotle Aioli and Spanish sauce, and it did not disappoint. Additionally, I ordered the Seared Tuna Ceviche, a fresh Ahi Tuna beautifully and tastefully presented 'on a bed of marinated cucumbers, green onions, fresh ginger sauce and garlic with lime juice'. Let me just say this: my husband eats nothing raw, that is until now, for he ate at least a third of it. That's about all I would give him. ;) (that's a wink)

The main course: my husband selected the slow Oven Roasted Pork Loin (Cuban), served with whipped potato and Pineapple Mango Salsa, and remember how I said, 'No steak', well I ordered the Churrasco, an 'Argentinean Style Steak with Port DemiGlace, Chimichuri Sauce and 2 Sides'... the waiter said that was his favorite.

A special blend of color and texture, add some zest, a wonderful ember glow, and we savored all the individual flavors that had been brought together by this marvelous chef. We had our own private symphony occurring within.

Our hats off to the chef and management! It was all absolutely delicious, not ordinary by any means, creatively and beautifully done, and an outstanding experience in every way. I know that on our next trip to the area, we will go out of our way to visit. So if you happen to like quality at what we felt was a reasonable price and you happen to be in or around Simi Valley, do stop by and look at the menu. You decide.

Totally unsolicited: http://www.limongrill.com/