Monday, June 11, 2018

Mountain Quail

Failure to get around to one of my tasks sometimes yields a wonderful reward. One of our raised beds in the garden is filled with herbs_ cilantro, parsley, thyme, tarragon.... and of course several offerings that either the wind or the birds have planted.

I had every intention of cutting the thyme back in the early spring as it draped itself over the edge of the bed. Today was the day to at least do a partial trim.

I don't know who was more frightened? She flew from beneath the cover and I stumbled backwards, gaining my balance and composure, then laughed.

Carefully the thyme was lifted and beautiful was the clutch of 21. She and her guy must have been strutting about for some time with this accomplishment.


We went back several days later in hopes of capturing the little ones, but to our dismay they were gone_ all of them.