Sunday, November 22, 2009

Getting Ready

It is time to do some cooking, prep work. If at all possible, I prefer doing it in stages... a little here and a little there, so that the day of a very nice meal I am more relaxed.

About 40 years ago an older friend of the family shared this wonderful and flaky pie crust recipe with me, and today I'd like to share it with you. Undoubtedly it has stood the test of time.

No-Fail Pie Crust from Diana's kitchen

3 cups of unbleached flour
1 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
7 Tablespoons ice water
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt mixture. In another bowl combine the beaten egg, ice water and vinegar, then pour the liquid into the flour and blend quickly with a large fork. Roll it into a ball or two and wrap in waxed paper, into a storage bag, and pop it in the fridge until ready to use the next couple of days.


It makes 3-4 individual crusts (depending upon how thick you like yours), and since I will use only 2 for my pumpkin pies, the remainder freezes nicely for another time.

Simple Corn Bread from Diana's kitchen

Today I made a simple corn bread recipe and baked it in an iron skillet. It will be stored for the next couple days when I'm ready to make Corn Bread Stuffing.

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil
Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix well.
Beat egg, add milk and oil, and pour mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring just until mixed.
Bake in a greased iron skillet or shallow pan at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

And while it is cooling, all I can think of is a little butter.