Thursday, February 25, 2010

Do You Ever Wonder

Do you ever wonder how this


can become this


and in just 4 days?

My little mind cannot quite grasp the miracle of it all: that from those tiny seeds grew this life form, each with distinct characteristics, and that they will continue to grow and produce fruits for our table. Truly, it is remarkable.


Having said that, I'd like to share the following, for I had a good laugh at myself. Under normal conditions it takes about 42 days to maturity for the yellow squash, which puts that at around April 7. Our first frost free date is estimated at April 15. So squash in April... in the ground? I don't think so. We even had a surprise snowfall last April.

I best look at maturity dates before I go starting any more seeds. (wink) Actually I was testing 2009 seeds I had left over and as of this morning we have 4 for 4... 100% germination in each pot. I can't bear to throw them away. Would you like one of the plants to grow in a pot at your house?